Friday, December 16, 2011

SportsTube


SportsTube
Appeared in the October 16, 2009 edition of The Cabinet

There is something about sports movies that draws us in, even for those who have little to no interest in sports. No matter who you are, everyone can name a sports movie that has spoken to them in some way. Because of the way sport so often fits into our society in terms of our values and moral fortitudes, it makes sense that Hollywood has tried to capitalize on how sports can captivate our attention. In honor of our common heritage in the heartbreak, inspiration, courage, humor, and life lessons learned in sports, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite sports movies. My top 6:

1. Mighty Ducks I and II – I couldn’t pick just one, so I didn’t. Emilio Estevez and Joshua Jackson will forever and always be Gordon Bombay and Charlie Conway in my mind – I don’t care what you Dawson’s Creek or Breakfast Club fans may say. The inspiration of the Ducks is the main reason I care at all about hockey, and is the only reason I’ve developed into something of a Pittsburgh Penguins fan. Quack! Quack! Quack!

2. Glory Road – Surprisingly, this is the only basketball movie on the list. A combination of thrilling and heart-pounding game scenes alongside of a sobering and horrific portrayal of racial tension create a convincing and convicting tale of the 1966 national championship run of Texas Western College.

3. Happy Gilmore – “You want to die, clown?” The lavishness and abundance of quotable one-liners in this classic Adam Sandler film propel it onto my list. Although some of Happy’s escapades might be considered moderately questionable, give him a break. You’d do the exact same thing for your grandma.

4. Chariots of Fire – “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.”  This 1981 Academy Best Picture about sprinters in the 1912 Olympic Games is my personal favorite. The stark contrast between the humanist Harold Abrams and the evangelistic Eric Liddell is an ideal picture of doing everything with both purpose and conviction. It also contains my favorite soundtrack on this list.

5. Remember the Titans – This football movie’s popularity has caused it to flirt on the border of cliché, but the movie’s message and soundtrack earn it a spot on my list. This movie was the first of our generation to powerfully integrate racism and sports, and is arguably the sports movie of our generation.

6. The Sandlot – “You’re killing me, Smalls!” This movie hits home with so many because all of us have gone through a phase of needing the acceptance of the baseball team, having a crush on the older Wendy Peffercorn, and making 12-year-old mistakes so we think are so big that we think our the world will end at the hands of a giant dog. If you are not inspired to ever watch any other movies on this list, this is the one to watch.

Other notables: Angels in the Outfield, Invincible, Little Big League, Rookie of the Year, Without Limits, Friday Night Lights, Miracle, Field of Dreams. I know, I know, I missed your favorite. Even though different movies speak to each of us in different ways, I hope this list inspires you to go out and either enjoy for the first time or rewatch some of these very worthwhile sports flicks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment